Sunday, February 05, 2012

War Rocket - Hydra Miniatures

Several years ago I painted up a number of 28mm Flash Gordon Figures, but what I really wanted to do was Space Combat like the sci-fi Cliff Hangers from Saturday morning telly as a kid. When I saw Hydra Games Produce War Rocket how could I resist.
The models have sat unpainted in a box for several months but with the Evesham Wargames Club AGM this Sunday I was looking for a quick 1 hour game that did not involve Zulu's.


Photobucket



I quick read through the rules and we are ready to go, The rules follow a number of simple phases Orders, Delayed Action, Movement, Attack, Damage Phase & Recovery Phase. It seems to follow rather nicely with the slowest models always move first, and the fastest models always moving last.

The Delayed Action Phase allows you to move and fight before anyone else. Sneaky.
Each ship Firepower and Defense stats which should keep book keeping to a minimum. The rule book provides for 4 warring factions, but I have plan for the various Nations on Mongo, Each Space Fleet has 4 classes of ship I, II, III and IV. Depending on the size of the ship, Class I being single seater fighters and the like.

I have painted up a couple of the starter sets to enable me to play some quick scenario's I also brought some ships from Hangar 18 several years ago for a flash Gordon game, they are cast in resin so can be a little brittle but seem to compliment the excellent Hydra Castings.
Full AAR to follow but in the mean time the gathering forces.....
Photobucket

Ming's Fighter Squadrons.

Photobucket

Class II War Rockets

Photobucket

Flash Gordon and Fighters from Frigia

Photobucket

Arborian Fighters
Until next time viewers.... 

3 comments:

  1. These are great there is something really rather nostalgic about them; beautiful colour palette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done. I've been getting into War Rocket lately too (can see some of the ships I've done on my blog http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/ ) Thanks for the Hangar 18 link! I'm going to have to look into them it seems- those arborian ships look pretty fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments chaps.
    Hangar 18 do some interesting castings, I have the Moingo Capitals that I am looking to work into a game, the resin can be a little brittle and will probably need some green stuff to bolster the model before painting.

    ReplyDelete